In April 2012, Redeemer Evangelical Covenant Church built Harvest Community Garden in partnership with Keep Carrollton Beautiful. It is now a member of Community Gardens of Carrollton, its parent 501c3 organization. We are also a partner with the North Texas Food Bank.
Its purpose is to grow organic produce and donate half of the yield to a local food pantry.
The mission of Harvest Community Garden is to enable people in the Carrollton area to:
- Learn how to grow produce using organic practices
- Have garden space that might not be available to them (e.g. apartments, assisted living centers)
- Feed the hungry – We donate at least half of the harvest to the food pantry at Christian Community Action (CCA).
- Foster a sense of community as people make connections with one another
- Provide service and volunteer opportunities using the community garden as the focus
In order to provide a sustainable community garden opportunity for citizens of Carrollton, without regard to their demographic or socioeconomic position, the plot rental cost is kept low. Full plots are only $40 per year and half plots are $20/year. Tools, soil, water, and gardening education are all free.
We have 24 plots (4’ x 20’ raised beds), an asparagus bed, black berries, and a butterfly friendly xeriscape garden. Our storage shed houses many garden tools and supplies, which are available to gardeners and volunteers. We also have a rainwater collection system, as well as an irrigation system.
In July, 2020 we finished our Phase 2 expansion project. Then some Boy Scouts built a rabbit fence around the new plots and placed flagstone around the shed to create a seating area as their Eagle Scout Projects.
In 2020 we donated well over a ton of fresh produce to a local food pantry!
Join us Saturdays at 8:30 a.m. for harvests and working the garden.
Adopt the xeroscape/butterfly garden!
Call the church office for more information: 972-466-0054
Like us on Facebook
Email Stan at [email protected]