The Evangelical Covenant Church
The Evangelical Covenant Church (ECC) is an evangelical Christian denomination of more than 750 congregations in the United States and Canada with ministries on five continents of the world. Founded in 1885 by Swedish immigrants, the church is now one of the most rapidly growing and multi-ethnic denominations in North America. Historically Lutheran in theology and background, we are now a broadly evangelical movement.
Faith and Practice
We believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God and “the only perfect rule for faith, doctrine, and conduct.” We also affirm the historic creeds of the church, especially the Nicene Creed and the Apostles’ Creed, while maintaining that the Bible is sovereign over all creedal interpretations.
We also believe in these six main affirmations:
- The Necessity of the New Birth
- The Bible as the Perfect Word of God
- A Commitment to the Whole Mission of the Church
- The Church as a Fellowship of Believers
- A Conscious Dependence on the Holy Spirit
- The Reality of Freedom in Christ
In short, we are:
- evangelical, but not exclusive
- biblical, but not doctrinaire
- congregational, but not independent
- traditional, but not rigid
National Denomination Website
covchurch.org is our National Denomination Website.